What is Economic Development? Efforts that seek to improve the economic well-being and quality of life for a community by creating and/or retaining jobs and supporting or growing incomes and the tax base.
Our Mission Statement: The Boulder Junction Economic Development/Connect Communities Committee, in conjunction with the Town of Boulder Junction and with community commitment and participation, will develop and promote economic opportunities and explore investment options supporting our strategic economic development objectives and activities to enhance ongoing community prosperity.
Thinking of starting a business in Boulder Junction? We are certain that you will have many questions before making your decision and we are here to help. If we don’t have the answer, we will direct you to someone who does.
Boulder Junction, the Musky Capital of the World®, located in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, is a small tourist community with a big heart. The economy of Boulder Junction is largely based on the tourism and service sectors. Accommodations, restaurants, service businesses, and specialty shops predominate.
The citizens of Boulder Junction are hard-working, family- and community-oriented individuals interested in working together to make Boulder Junction a place where we can all live, work and play, while enjoying a thriving economy and high quality of life in a natural, serene setting.
Below is more information about our community.
Town of Boulder Junction Statistics:
Year-round Population: 941
Summer Population: 7,500 (estimated)
Fifth largest town in Vilas County (out of 12)
Dwellings: 376 year-round/ 806 seasonal
State Land 63%
State Water 24.8%
Land Size: 82 square miles
Water Size: 18 square miles
Local Roads: 90.2 miles When driving through the business district of Boulder Junction, you will not see most of the dwellings mentioned above. Most of our residents do not live in a “neighborhood” like you would find in the city. Their homes are hidden among the many acres of woods and waters throughout Boulder Junction.
Are you interested in opening a business in Boulder Junction but are not sure what? Here are some ideas of needed businesses that we have been given by other business owners, residents or visitors.
- Experience focused services (tours, classes, indoor activities)
- Unique Trades (woodworking, blacksmith, artists of all kinds)
- Pet supplies and pet care (grooming and boarding)
- Candy Store
- Resale Shop
- Wellness Center
- Kids Toys
- Gourmet Foods
These are just a few suggestions. The options are endless. We welcome your ideas and experiences.
Available Business Locations:
Commercial property in Boulder Junction may be available by rental agreements or for purchase. Costs will vary depending on the business, the property and the location. If you are looking to start a business and rent the space, most rental properties in the Boulder Junction business district will cost $9 to $12 per square foot. Many owners do offer incentives for new tenants. If you are looking to purchase a location for your business, it is probably best that you speak with one of our knowledgeable real estate agents who will be able to assist you with finding the perfect setting for your business venture. In addition to having access to all businesses that may be for sale in the Boulder Junction area, our agents will have contact information for rental property owners.
Boulder Junction is fortunate to have the convenience of a Huntington Bank branch right in town. Huntington Bank is a Member FDIC and Equal Housing Lender.
Boulder Junction Chamber of Commerce:
The Boulder Junction Chamber of Commerce is committed to promoting a healthy and vibrant community through business support and advancement, while maintaining respect for the area’s resources and recreational environment. Their goal is to bring people to Boulder Junction who will, in turn spend money in your business. They also offer many networking opportunities so that you can meet and get to know others in our supportive and caring business community. Information on benefits of the Boulder Junction Chamber of Commerce can be found at https://boulderjct.org/community/join-the-chamber/.
- Vilas County Economic Development Corporation (http://www.vilascountyedc.org)– Provide innovative leadership and regional infrastructure to: improve the economic wellbeing of businesses, communities and residents; promote creation and retention of viable businesses and quality jobs; and provide increased opportunities for education strengthening workforce development.
- State of Wisconsin Business Services (http://www.wisconsin.gov/Pages/business.aspx)– To help you obtain list of state permits or licenses your business may need before you get started.
- Center for Wisconsin Technology Commercialization (http://wisconsinctc.org)– Will help you find products, services, publications and websites that will assist in the development, growth and success of your business.
- Wisconsin Department of Tourism (http://industry.travelwisconsin.com)– Information on state marketing, grants and research efforts